Security Lead Engineer
Years of Experience:
CISSP, CCNP, AWS SA, applicable MS certs
The Information Systems Security Engineer will work seamlessly with the Chief Security Engineer to conduct security engineering activities,
- Work with the Infrastructure and Engineering Staff to incorporate tools and best practices that ensure control requirements are addressed to promote a robust security posture for the communications aspects of applications in both a private on premises data centers and public cloud offerings.
- Works closely with Census Bureau Systems project teams to assist in the migration of systems from their current environment into the hybrid TI infrastructure while ensuring the security and integrity of the system.
- Follows documented technical approaches to assess threats and residual risks, along with specifying the implementations required for the 2020 Decennial Census.
- Utilizes the organization tasking tracking database, framework and application to manage security operations and make the necessary reports based on due dates, assignments, coordination requirements, percent of completion, completion and archival. Devises solutions to operational problems within the capacity and operational limitations of installed equipment.
- Analyzes Decennial change requests for security impacts and provide recommendations to the 2020 Census TI GPMO.
- Monitors and tracks security-related defects and resolutions; assigns tasks to the appropriate working group or individual. Coordinates and facilitates working groups and integrated process teams to achieve solution.
- Assists in establishing and implementing a Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation (CDM) capability with integrated security controls for the 2020 Census System of Systems (SoS).
- Focuses on communications and networking needs between Cloud and on premises Data Centers, and Cloud and Internet (VPN) users
- Enables continuous monitoring to proactively survey, monitor, and track security-related defects and the status of their resolutions to report to the 2020 US Census GPMO.
- Works within a Sprint to ensure engineering features and enhancements include security requirements and meet Federal directives. Acts as a bridge between project teams or developers and security personnel, by being able to understand and interface in all areas. Identifies specific areas of concern related to securing sensitive data in a both a cloud and data center environment.
- Provides thought leadership to provide guidance and best practices for the implementation of SoS to support the 2020 DecennialCensus.
- Provides expertise with Federal Requirements related to special classifications of data especially Title 13 and 26, FISMA, FedRAMP. NIST, etc.
- Generates documentation as required by the US Census.
- Acquisition, installation, maintenance, and usage of the Government Enterprise networks.
- Engineering solutions within multiple Cloud Service Providers, in particular AWS.
- Operations for Cisco ASA firewalls, routers and switches and the ability to formulate access control lists (ACLs) via the Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Enterprise level security hardening for Windows, Linux, Android and/or iOS operating systems and SQL, Oracle, and RDS database solutions in accordance with Center for Internet Security (CIS) and Security Technical Implementation Technical Guides (STIGs)
- Continuity of operations (COOP) concepts and implementation for network related hardware failures including isolated and major outages. Monitors and controls the performance and status of the network resources.
- Development and implementation of vulnerability remediation strategies. Configuration and execution of vulnerability and web application scans. Customization compliance scans to meet agency established baselines.
- Implementation PKI within an enterprise.
- Experience working in AWS via the CLI and management console. Knowledge and experience configuring Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs) and understanding the service offerings and how to configure them. Ability to automate the development of security controls including firewall rules and policy and IPS policy.
- Experience with automating server configuration for security including logging, key changes, and system hardening.
- Expert knowledge of network routing and switching fundamentals to include knowledge of Multiprotocol Layer Switching (MPLS)
- Deep technical understanding of operating systems, network architecture and design, Active Directory (AD) application log consumables, systems design as well as superior knowledge of technical operations process and procedures
- Knowledge of encryption, key management and cryptology
- Understanding of Enterprise Architecture Standards such as the Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DODAF), Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA), the Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF), and/or the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Well Architected Framework
- Familiarity with the Risk Management Framework (NIST 800-37), Security Controls as described in NIST 800-35, and the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA) operating standards and applicable guidelines
- Experience with performing threat modelling, risk analysis, root cause analysis, risk identification, and risk mitigation
- Experience planning and implementing secure networking practices such as: application segmentation, network segmentation, NAC and other access control testing/validation, updating access control SOPs
- Ability to configure and develop an enterprise SIEM solution including signature tuning, development of correlation rules, reports, and alarms
- Organizational Skills: Proven ability to plan and prioritize work, both their own and that of project team. Follows tasks to their logical conclusion. Understanding of project management principles and techniques (project plans, critical path, etc), ability to develop security project plans and work with development teams to integrate those into development schedules - in both waterfall and agile environments.
- Team Work: Excels both autonomously and as part of a team. Prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way. Ability to influence others and move a team toward a common vision or goal.
- Leadership: Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
- Communications: Ability to interact with senior managers, junior staff, and business unit (non-technical) customers clearly and efficiently, both verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills.
- Problem Solving: Natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics. Ability to analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions.
- Results oriented: Able to drive things forward regardless of personal interest in the task.